Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Week 13 Aquatic Uncle

Are there any prominent symbols in the story? If so, what are they, and how are they used? 

My take on the story was that the symbols were simply the land and the sea. The whole story revolves around the family. The grandparents and the rest of the family were all on shore, but the great-uncle was the one who was a fish. In story they really go back in forth between the aquatic world and the land. I enjoyed reading the details of the story when the family goes to visit the great-uncle and how they get to him is very interesting. Lll was the most interested in the great-uncles world while the rest of them were trying to find their identities in their world. The uncle is kind set in ways in the story while Lll is willing to convert to fishdom because she is nostalgic of the past and wants to be apart of that world.

What connections did you make with the story? Discuss the elements of the work with which you were able to connect.

I connected with this story in many ways, one way I connected is that I am very close with my family like they all are in the story. I have always been intrigued with listening to what my relatives have to say about their experiences in life. I have always thought it was important to have clear knowledge about the past and hearing people's take on life. In the story the great uncle is the type of person to always speak his mind, which in most cases we all have a relative that does the same thing. I felt that the uncle in the story made it more relatable for the reader because the author brought in so many aspects of what older relatives are actually like.

What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you use? What changes would you make?

I liked the story but I feel like it was too crammed into a couple of pages. I think it would be interesting as a short film where they author could expand the story. I would rather watch this story then read it in my opinion, I think it would make more sense. I wouldn't necessarily decide to make more changes other than the names in the story are little hard to relate and understand. I would also just like to see the story expand more since it was very short. Overall it was a nice read because it was very different and I haven't read a story like it before.

No comments:

Post a Comment