Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Week 4 Monster Island

This week I decided to read Monster Island by: David Wellington and I didn’t really know what to expect since it was a week-by-week blog by David himself. This was written back in 2004 and he would post a new chapter as soon as he could. I found Monster Island to be kind of funny in the sense that it was trying to be scary but it wasn’t. The story was based out of New York City and the vampires basically took over New York. The great thing about this series is that David would write back to the readers as they made comments on the chapter.

I have never read anything “new weird” before so this was a first for me but I found the new weird genre to be more interesting to read than a regular horror book. I specially liked a part of this series when David describes the girl scouts to be demonic and scary and the main character was trying to hide from the girl scouts because they were zombies. This series is considered new weird because it’s got horror and sci-fi elements to it without being too scary. I also like that new horror tends to have more of a parody background to it which makes it more enjoyable to read. I really ended up enjoying this series because of its parody, and its here and there scary remarks.

No comments:

Post a Comment