Sunday, January 17, 2016

Week 1 Frankenstein

Movie and Book Blog Post 1


In Mary Shelly's novel, Frankenstein there are many Gothic elements. When I think of Gothic elements I imagine eerie, dark, and creepy scenes. Frankenstein has all of these aspects throughout the entire book and film. After Watching parts of the film I saw these elements really come to life. I had read parts here and there of Frankenstein in high school but never got into liking the book until after I read it for this class. I enjoyed reading it because I don't typically read horror books which is a reason that I decided to take this class and experience a new genre. I really captured the emotions that Mary Shelly was getting when writing this book. She was very creative and knew how to make the reader feel anxious. 


Monsters come into play in a lot of scary/horror movies. He was a different kind of monster, he was unique in the way that he was made by a human being. The monster was often just trying to find his place in the world and wanted to make friends and to please Dr. Frankenstein. The letters in the book really set the book up perfectly because it was between Frankenstein and his sister, Elizabeth. I enjoyed the perspective that was thought out and used in this book. 


Another horror book and movie quality is lighting; lighting was a big aspect used in the book and movie to create dark emotions, and to make the viewer/reader more anxious. Mary Shelly really knew how to set the mood by using candles, castles, wolfs and bad weather. The scene also took place at night which is a key aspect in every scary book/film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment